TRIBUTE

Tuesday, August 05, 2008


When I first met Penny, she booted me out of the relative security of the very back row in the chapel. She somewhat forcefully informed me that the back row was reserved for "old people" who need to get to the restroom quickly during the meeting so you'll have to move. It was my first time in that ward after a 32 year wrong turn tour of the wicked world. I remember thinking "damn the fellowship in the church sure has changed". She then smiled and said "You can however come and sit with me." And we pretty much sat together from then on. We became fast friends, and it was my pleasure to serve her over the years. She was my biggest fan as I gradually got my life in order.


Penny was a straight shooter, you never had to wonder where you stood with her cuz she'd tell ya. Sure sometimes she had all the tact of a wreaking ball, but her candid assesments were refreshing in a sickeningly P.C. world. I feel that through our association as time went on she met more of the younger people in the Ward, cuz before I came along she usually only attended the Sacrement meeting, and only sorted with a few of the old timers.


By the time the Lord called Penny home she was well liked or loved by many of us. She loved the Lord and promised him if he would take care of her grandchildren while they served missions for the church, she would go to all her meetings and get more involved. He did, and so did she. She used to always say to me "Isn't it funny how we found each other." It wasn't funny, it was the hand of the Lord. We needed each other to learn and serve. And so many lives were the better for it.


Penny Catto was a dear friend to me, I loved her and I'll be ever grateful for the time we had together.And I know we'll meet again. I'm in no rush for a reunion mind you, but we'll meet again.

7 comments:

Lucy van Pelt said...

Well said. She was a dear and I know you both benefited from the wonderful freindship you shared.

Megan said...

A beautiful tribute to a wonderful lady. We are so grateful that through you we got to know Penny. Thanks for that.

An Ordinary Mom said...

What a beautiful tribute! I am sad I had to miss her memorial service, but I am grateful to know she is in a better place now.

Dan said...

Very nice tribute. We too, enjoyed getting to know Penny better over the years through your introduction.

Holly said...

I don't know what Bop is talking about, Penny is the FIRST person I met in Seattle. Things began kind of rocky but I was a young kid fresh from happy valley and didn't know any better. I'm eternally grateful to the Lord for allowing Penny and I to meet again and make amends.

liz j said...

I have a hard time remembering names if I haven't seen the person in the last 2 weeks. I'm famously unable to recall details of events I've lived through.

But I remember Penny. I smiled out loud, that's the only way to describe it, when I read your wonderful tribute to her.

Ice Cream said...

So true, even I came to love her before she left. She was one of those golden spirits who just couldn't be fake to anyone.

 
Daddy Shark - by Templates para novo blogger