BALUT

Thursday, January 01, 2009


Balut: a fertilized duck egg that is a delicacy in many South East Asian countries. How far along the duckling is to being formed before it is eaten is a matter of personal taste. Ever since first heard of Balut, pronounced like galoot except with a B, I thought I'd like to try it. Well yesterday at work I got my chance. It wasn't too bad, kinda a cross between a hard boiled egg and chicken soup that needed salt. It did have some slightly glickky textures, but by the time I got to that point there wasn't much to do but swallow it, there was also the peer preasure and macho angle to live up to. I know it's strange but someday I'd like to eat dog meat,heck with all the taco trucks I've eaten at I've probably had it twice. But it's not the same. I wanna know I'm eatin' it. Preferably the dog that barks all the time next door. That would mean a good meal and a good nights sleep. OK, I made that part up, there is no neighbor dog that barks all night....not any more that is.

5 comments:

Gage said...

The guys that sell balut in the Philippines have salt and vinegar to go with it, so that's the solution to that problem. Good luck finding dog, it's difficult to get in the Philippines where people say it's commonplace.

Lucy van Pelt said...

Balut makes your breath stink. It's a bad idea.

Dan said...

I don't know if I'd be willing to eat it. It looks raunchy.

32 Flavors said...

Nasty. Crunchy, slimy, smelly....brave man.

Ice Cream said...

I had a hard enough time eating eggs when I first learned they were baby eggs. I don't think I could move on to eating fetus. *shiver*
But if you can eat that you can probably eat anything. I did have an emu burger once. Tasted like bland turkey burger.
I want to try croc and snake meat.

 
Daddy Shark - by Templates para novo blogger